Tuesday, June 8, 2010

In the Time it Takes to Make a Baby

It’s been just a little over nine months since my last contribution to the blogosphere and while I’m not hearing the pitter patter of little feet, I can’t ignore the wails of a neglected project that has gone without nourishment for far too long. So in the spirit of rebirth (and because nobody could seem to figure out what ViXUS was supposed to mean) I’ve renamed the business and once again taken up the task of forging my own way out of the rat race and making my mark as an entrepreneur… btw ViXUS simply means Superior Communications!

To be sure, although I hadn’t blogged much in the past nine or so months, I have been taking on jobs and working, just not with the same fervor. So in an effort to bring things back up to speed, a quick list of the highlights includes:

• A well received presentation to a group of business owners and professionals
• A slew of free consultations that were often more trouble than they were worth (look for a future post on this)
• Lesson upon lesson on setting and sticking to your rates… still an on-going challenge
• A major project that went belly up (Also a future post on picking and knowing your clients)
• A business growth class chock full of resources
• and a whole lot of stop and go and stop and go…

But more than anything, the past few months have allowed me to cultivate and renew relationships and figure out some direction for the business. As I noted in my last post, success is often determined by who you know just as much as what you know. I’ve been blessed enough to get to know some amazing people who have served as sounding boards, road maps, and GPS systems. In fact, it is thanks to them that I’ve been inspired to pick back up and go for the gold once more. In particular, a girlfriend of mine who operates her firm full time recently told me, “This is not for the faint hearted” and to date that’s proven ever so true. So like a mother in labor, I’ll brace myself for what’s to come, knowing that the end result will be well worth any bit of pain endured.

Here we go again, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment