Monday, August 10, 2009

Not What You Know but Who

Okay I know it’s an old statement and extremely cliché but it is so, so true and the deeper I get into this business, the more truth I see in the fact that it isn’t what you know but who you know.

When I think about how I even entered the work force, I have to recall that I landed my first full-time job in the PR industry because of having met the right person.

Fresh out of college, I ended up back home because I couldn’t find a job to save my life. With my heart set on becoming a television journalist I sent video resumes to anywhere and everywhere, even Podunk , Wisconsin wouldn’t hire me. I worked as a freelancer with the local community weekly and finally landed a part-time with a local TV news station as a web-producer working late nights and weekends. All the while, I was actively engaged with the local Young Professionals organization and meeting all kinds of folks from a variety of industries and backgrounds.

One Thursday evening they had a networking workshop, there were only a few people in the room and I was one of them. I collected a number of business cards, took notes and the very next day sent an email to every single person whose card I’d collected with a list of my skills a copy of my resume and a request to keep an eye open for a job that I may be suited for. Three days later I got an email back. Someone was on the board of a non-profit organization and he knew they were looking for a communications person. Viola! I followed up, followed through and landed the job!

Now that I’ve got ViXUS Communications up and going, knowing people has become even more critical. In fact most of my current clients come from having established a relationship with somebody or another throughout my journey to now.

What I find most interesting, however, is that growing a communications or media related business in a city the size of Columbia, SC breeds a sense of competition. I understand having to protect your business and your clients, I mean nobody wants to lose their clientele. However, I strongly believe that if you provide your clients with superior work then you breed a sense of loyalty between yourself and your clients. If I lose a client then it is because I have somehow failed them.

So today I am declaring an on-going quest to build relationships with as many other industry professionals who are willing to know and work with me. I can assure you that we will most likely be stronger and more effective as a team instead of one.

I love getting to know people and I think that we all have so much we can teach one another and beside you never know who we might know that can help us grow our businesses together.



PS. Shouts out to Teowonna Clifton who sent me an awesome email and inspired me to finally get these thoughts posted!

Visit her blog at www.thatteowonna.blogspot.com and check her business website at www.akeeneyecopyediting.com.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Kaela. You are right about 'who you know'. They call it 'networking' now. It used to be called the 'good ole boy system'. Now the system is opened to everyone who takes the initiative to get out and meet people. The more I help others, the more my business and life are growing. That is so important because even though we have a rather unique skill set, WE are the greatest product we can promote. And no one can sell us better than we can. Let's work it!

    ReplyDelete