Monday, June 28, 2010

Purpose and goals

One of the biggest challenges I faced when first launching ViXUS Communications was trying to be everything to everybody. By that I mean that regardless of the requested project, if it was even remotely related to communications services, the answer was always yes.

Graphic design? Yes!
Grant Writing? Yes!
Fundraising Strategies? Yes!

Now the challenge did not arise from my inability to do these things but in the fact that some of the projects I took on steered me away from the original purpose and vision I had for the company. What’s more, once I began fielding client requests, I realized that there were some elements that I hadn’t completely thought through. For example, was I just going to assist clients with developing public relations and marketing strategies or would I actually be involved in the execution as well? Should I get into the business of training clients on how to take on their own PR initiatives or should they plan to have me serve as their primary PR service provider? Hmmm…… these are questions that will arise when you decide to just “fall into” a business as I did the first time around.

And while there is something to be said for being flexible to the direction of the market, there is a lot more to be said for having a solid business plan in place and executing an effective marketing strategy to support your business goals. The lesson: Write a business plan and stick to it! Not that it has to be written in stone, a business plan should be a living document. However, it should also be used as a firm guide for what you want your business to be.

In re-establishing my business as The Harmon Group, I have found a great deal of benefit in taking the time to be purposeful in my
business plan. I have also found it incredibly helpful to use a SWOT analysis to determine where I can be most effective as a service provider to my clients. Using these tools allowed me to fully asses the purpose behind my business and to determine what my ultimate goals were beyond the basic mission statement of the company.


To help ensure that you learn from my mistakes, I've provided these helpful tools in The Harmon Group Tool Kit. And you can be sure that as we make this journey together, I'll share all the tools I develop and come across along the way.

So while we're sharing, are there any helpful tools and tips that you've come across in business? We'd love to know. Til Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment