Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kaela on Air: Live and Unscripted

So, did I mention that I'm a radio personality?

That's still a funny concept to me even though I've been doing this for almost three years now. I especially find it funny when people say, "Oh, you're a celebrity!" However, I have recently discovered that I actually do have a little bit of a fan base.

The program is called The Weekend Countdown and airs every Friday afternoon from 5-6pm on 620AM so if you're ever in Columbia listen in!

Although it is only a weekly program it requires a level of planning and commitment on my part. Topics have to be researched and developed, guests scheduled and confirmed and then of course when I'm on air I'm producing and hosting simultaneously. That alone requires a certain level of multi-tasking.

Generally a good show requires maybe five hours or so of planning and preparation...assuming I have a topic in mind and that I can get guests lined up fairly quickly but five hours is a pretty good sized chunk out of my week considering I'm trying to launch a business, take care of the clients I have and still keep up with the responsibilities of my day job.

Not that I'm complaining. I feel that it is a huge privilege to be able to provide a voice to the public and, because my program is a call in radio show, they do indeed make their voices heard! It has also afforded me the opportunity to do some pretty incredible things. I attended the Democratic debates in the spring of 2009 and I've interviewed some pretty high profile folks including our now President, Barack Obama. The show has also be a great launching pad for my business. Not so much because I get to self promote, which I don't, but because I've been able to make invaluable contacts and learn about the industry from the inside.

To be perfectly honest, I love it. It is always a challenge as guests, listeners and of course the programming department keep me on my toes.

I do often ask myself, however, if I can continue to keep it up. With ViXUS Communications growing and me still having to meet the demands of a full time job, it can be a bit much. I'm not ready to let go just yet but I suspect that in the near future I might have to make some changes.

Lets just hope that change allows me to make ViXUS the full time job and keep the show on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment